> On Jul 17, 2016, at 11:06 AM, John Forecast <j...@forecast.name> wrote:

>> I suppose so.  Rumor had it that Phase I only existed on RSX, but it appears
>> that there was a PDP-8 implementation as well.  Phase II was implemented on
>> lots of DEC systems, from TOPS-10 to RT-11 to RSTS/E.  My initial
>> involvement with DECnet was as the DECnet/E kernel guy, upgrading DECnet/E
>> from Phase II to Phase III.
>>
>       I worked at a customer site in Sweden which consisted of a pair of
> 11/40’s running
>       RSX-11D and DECnet Phase I. I’m pretty sure that Phase I only ran on
> 11D in the RSX
>       family.

I'd always heard that.  But recently I found Phase I documents, which include
protocol specifications of a sort, sufficient to tell that it wouldn't be
compatible with Phase II and couldn't readily be made to be.  (In particular,
NSP works rather differently.)  And that document was for a PDP-8 OS.

Possibly it was built but not shipped, or designed but not built.  The document
has the look of r a finished product manual, though.