On 7/29/2016 2:29 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
On 07/29/2016 12:07 PM, j...@cimmeri.com wrote:
Recently acquired a Teac MT-2ST SCSI cassette tape drive and am
attempting to recondition it.

Although it does have direct drive motors on both reels (no rubber
bands), the design is still plagued by having a rubber roller "tire"
on its encoder roller which has turned to a very sticky goo for half
its length on my unit.
Instead of fooling around with a baling-wire-and-bubblegum solution,
you're probably best off sending the roller for rebuilding by Terry:

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

He does a bang-up job and he's not frighteningly expensive.  You'll get
something back that will last for many years.

--Chuck

Thank you, Chuck. I'll give my idea a try first, and then Terry's as a last resort.

I'll report back here with results as they occur.

- John