On 8/11/2016 4:47 PM, Ian S. King wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM, emanuel stiebler <e...@e-bbes.com> wrote:

On 2016-08-11 14:08, Douglas Taylor wrote:

I have a MicroVax 4000 that I am trying to update the license PAKs on,
the last time I had valid PAKs on this machine was in 2002 (Hobbyist
Licenses).

I registered and have received the new Hobbyist License PAKs.

I connected a laptop and transferred the text file using C-Kermit on the
VAX and hyperterminal on the laptop.

When I go to execute the file, I get an error:

$@hobbyist-use-only-va.txt

%RMS-W-RTB 512 bye record to large for user buffer

It appears that when the file was transferred it showed up on the vax
with fixed length records of 512 bytes, not variable length.

Can I convert the file on the VAX?

Is there a setting for C-Kermit that I need to change?

Is Hyperterminal screwing things up?

I usually just send it a textfile, so open the editor, put it in input
mode, download the file, save it. Don't forget, to make a dealy after every
<CR> ...

I've always just set the terminal emulator to a slow per-character rate and
pushed it into the console.  As long as VMS can process each line before
the next one starts, you should be golden.  -- Ian

Yes, I am using the console port and I do remember using that trick a long time ago. I think I'll try that, and also the set file/attr method.

Earlier I tried the trick of going into the editor and blasting the file at the VAX, it didn't work at 9600 baud, I have to show more patience.

Doug