On 09/05/2016 05:26 PM, Mattis Lind wrote:
måndag 5 september 2016 skrev Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:

On 09/05/2016 01:59 PM, Mattis Lind wrote:

I have now concluded that the fault is in the core memory module itself.
The sense winding is broken on bit plane 7.

Have you actually ohmed out the sense/inhibit wire?

Yes. I have measured at at the tabs where the red arrow points in the image
below:

http://i.imgur.com/x5VVh2F.jpg

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that this will rule out pulse transformers
or whatever.

Ugh! That could be messy. DEC later went to planar memories, for obvious reasons. Yes, these built-up core stacks could be hard just to open up to get to a single plane. IBM, CDC and others all made them like this in the 60's before realizing how hard that made the job of testing and repairing. (I guess the shrinking of the cores is what really made the planar core boards practical.) Well, unless there is a spare plane in the stack, you can't break it too much more than it is broken now! But, really, if one of the wires has failed within the plane, it could be just about impossible to fix. If it is a break outside of the core matrix, that wouldn't be hard to fix, unless the wires have become brittle over time, in which case any manipulation would just cause more damage. GOOD LUCK!

Jon

Jon