On 9/8/2016 10:41 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

On 9/8/16 10:03 AM, Murray McCullough wrote:
What role did Star Trek play in the rise of small computers that are
so ubiquitous today?
The main thing that comes to mind is how often images or references to TOS
appear in mid-70's computing magazines.

I would say that Samuel Harbison's ascii art was impacted. He did a project to produce ascii art very early on (I think there is a tape floating around if you have a spare impact line printer
around) which included a Spock picture.  The image I think is dated 1973.

When I went to track him down to get permission to share his tape of images, I went at it just looking for the Sam Harbison of the header on the tape images. I then realized he is the Harbison of Harbison & Steel which was on the shelf behind me as my main C programming reference manual. Duh. He is a very nice fellow and said he had no objection.

I noted Mike Loewen interviewed him about it some time later and did a nice web page
about it.

http://i.imgur.com/K9EZq.jpg

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~alien/aaa.html

https://savedparadigms.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/harbison-s-p-steele-g-l-c-a-reference-manual-5th-ed.pdf