Chuck,
        (circling back a bit) Al recommended Fetch; I concur. It was my
long-term favorite, from MacOS 6.0.8 or earlier onward.
        Apparently, it is still available from the author:

https://fetchsoftworks.com/

        But licenses are now $29. It is still possible according to the website
to get a free license for charitable or educational organizations.
        It also appears to be possible to download a version for classic back
to System 7 (Downloads page)
        I was *very* satisfied with it back in the day, have not used it since
about Mac OS 8.6, possibly 9.1, on my Powerbook 3400.

                                        - Mark
                                        210-522-6025 office
210-379-4635    cell