On 10/16/2016 5:54 AM, Corey Cohen wrote:
On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:25 PM, Mark J. Blair<n...@nf6x.net>  wrote:

I don't think I have any other wooden computers yet. The seller had an
interesting tale about the origin of the wood in these particular computers. As
the legend goes, the father of one of the principals of Processor Technology
had a contract to remove wharfs from along the Mississippi river, which
happened to be made of black walnut. And thus, the SOL-20 received stylish
black walnut side panels, hopefully without too much lingering wharf smell. I
don't know if the tale is true, but I have chosen to believe it.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X<n...@nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/

That's a new story to me, I always heard they came across a bunch of gunstock
wood and were looking for a project.  The wood is very good condition for
reclaimed wood that made up a dock that was near water and in sun. I have seen
old docks and that wood is good for kindling and not furniture.

Still would be good to try to confirm the story.

Cheers.
Corey

I agree. Even if the wharfwood was useable, the amount of working it would need over other forms would not usually be considered worth the time, especially for such small pieces. Also, walnut is not
a preferred wood for dock building.

- J.