On 12/5/2016 2:45 PM, Glen Slick wrote:
On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Holm Tiffe<h...@freibergnet.de>  wrote:
I've heard from a friend that another friend that died in the menatime, had
managed to copy HP9121 disks on a plain PC with something like Super Copy.

I tried using ImageDisk on a PC to read the two HP 1630 3.5-inch
floppies I have (10304 8085 preprocessor, 10342 HP-IB, RS-232C/V.24,
RS-449 preprocessor). It appeared to be able to read the expected data
just fine. Singled sided disk with 16 256-byte sectors per track
(sector numbers 0 - 15) and 70 tracks.

But it also seemed to detect a sector number 17 with no data in each
track. Is that a normal 9121 low level format? I haven't tried to
write a floppy back out using ImageDisk to see if the result is
readable on a 9121 drive.

I should also try hooking up a 9121 drive to a PC and see if HPDir
dumps the same binary data I get using ImageDisk.

Here are my notes on LIF disks and the utils I have. I got this from somewhere, but can't remember where, so can't give the well-deserved credit to the rightful person -- I'm sorry.

There have been different tools provided for handling LIF discs:

1. Still quite useful are the "LIF Utilities for DOS" from HP. The LIF utilities support the handling of LIF floppy discs in standard PC floppy disc drives and drives connected via HP-IB similar to the HPDir program.

A DOS-based graphical user interface covers functions like initializing LIF discs, copying files from DOS to LIF and vice versa, purging files as well as editing LIF discs with a hex editor.

The LIF Utilities work under DOS and Windows 9x, but not under NT based Windows like XP or Vista. The HP-IB operation is restricted to HP's own HP-IB interface cards (namely the HP82335A, the HP82990A and the HP88500A interfaces) and can communicate only with drives supporting the CS80/SS80 command sets (not Amigo).

2. Another LIF tool is HP's Standard Data Format (SDF) Utilities. Although originally intended for the exchange of data with HP analyzer instruments, there are two programs included (LIF.EXE and LIFDIAG.EXE) for LIF access, file conversion and diagnostics.

Just like the LIF Utilities those programs allow initializing LIF discs as well as file copying, deletion, conversion and listing both using standard floppy disc drives and drives connected via HP-IB.

The SDF utils support SS80 drives *only* [sic jws] but not AMIGO command set. However, these programs support the PCII and AT-GPIB IEEE488/GPIB cards from National Instruments in addition to the HP88500A and HP82335 interfaces.

3. Finally, there is still a basic support for LIF under HP-UX. For a certain period, the LIF format was used as bootstrap format (an initial execution vector was added in the system record for this purpose).

See HPDir.