On 12/09/2016 05:46 PM, ste...@malikoff.com wrote:

Thank you for the interesting brochure Bill, as far as I know the Model 44 was
a bit of an odd duck in having a modified instruction set.

The model 44 was a non-microcoded machine, and the lowest model with full 32-bit data paths. (Model 30 was 8 bit!!, model 40 was 16 bits). The /44 was aimed at scientific computing and process control applications. Yes, certainly an odd duck. It had some other oddities, such as optional integrated files (disk drives installed internal to the CPU cabinet) and direct I/O support (basically parallel input and output registers). The /44 lacked all character and decimal instructions, but the floating point performance was close to (or in some cases can even exceed) the 360/50 performance.

Jon