On 1/5/17 12:30 PM, Al Kossow wrote:

On 1/5/17 9:22 AM, j...@cimmeri.com wrote:

As Allison taught me, the oxide surface on platters / drums is just a form of
inactive RUST.. and therefore, unaffected
by water (no, the water doesn't cause it to start rusting further).

The interface between the aluminum platter and the steel sector ring would be a really bad thing to get water into.
Simple Green is a earth safe (Eco) detergent with a PH of 8.5 to 9.5. Safe for many things as a mild great and organic residue remover. Used that or Woolite for washing aluminum
aircraft for decades.

Water is not the hazard, allowing it to remain without drying is as it promotes corrosion.
Pure water (non-ionic) is mostly inactive.

FYI: Decades ago I used to do radio repair for the maritime set and a salt dunked radio that was still dripping from its dunking in salt water was immediately without prejudice immersed in clean water. It was then again immersed in new fresh clean water. The goal was to remove the salt and then DRY (in a 160 degree Fahrenheit oven) the unit before active corrosion could take over. It was usually successful if the unit hadn't remained submerged for more than a few hours or allowed to sit around for more than a few hours as if it it electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metals would take over and kill it. It was also effective on intermittent marine gear that had gotten flaky from salt tracking
on the board over time.

Allison