What's wrong with USB-B?
Too big. Does not properly fit into the DEC board spacing. The rest is just perfect.

I consider both Mini and Micro as not
mechanically reliable, i.e. I fear that the cable will unplug itself or
the mechanical strain will break the leads in the plug (I have too many
Mini and Micro cables that suffer from this)
Oh, my DSLR has such a mini USB. And my USBlink board as well. I did never have problems. And I did not handle the cables with care.

or rip off the SMD pins
from the copper traces (also very common in my experience).
That ahould be avoidable.

I don't want
to pull out a fully equipped pdp8 of the rack and open it just to

Strap it to the board. I will include holes for that purpose.

By the way: Do you still like the old board?

Kind regards

Philipp