On 2/23/17 8:25 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
From: cctalk [cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org] on behalf of Noel Chiappa
[j...@mercury.lcs.mit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:49 PM
To: cctalk@classiccmp.org
Cc: j...@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Q Bus Music Board

     > From: Jim Stephens

     > That A6006 produces a hit in this document
     > AAV11-C ANALOG OUTPUT BOARD
     > 4 DACs, and a DC-DC converter.

Sounds like it might be a standard analog output board, for lab settings.
I'll bet the music thing is some marketing ploy, like the card game in 'The
Story of Mel'. (What, you haven't read 'The Story of Mel'?!? :-)

         Noel

I think IO have a couple of them but I never heard them play music. :-)

bill

I have two of them and a RT-11 program in macro that can output tones and clicks
music is just an extension of that.

To do music (or sounds with an D/A) card its a matter of moving a sequence of bytes/words in a regular periodic rate representing the voltage for instant of the wave form.
For tones its a loop with values for amplitude, frequency, and wave shape.
For a simple output card its a matter of changing the state of a single bit at the required rate
(flip it once every half millisecond and you get a 1khz tone).

If an PDP-8, 6502, 8080 and many others can do it a pdp-11 and any output can. Hell I've heard Line printers play music and asr33s rattling out a crude version of
Jingle bells complete with bell!

Allison