Al Kossow <a...@bitsavers.org> wrote:
> Alan Frisbie via cctalk wrote:

> > Our current project is to replace the ST-506 disks with
> > the David Gesswein MFM disk emulators.   To do this, we
> > need to determine the CRC algorithm used by DTC, which we
> > cannot find any documentation for.

> did you ask david to try decoding the data for you? he's been
> very good at doing so.

Yes, I've discussed it with David, but we're waiting until
we have the test rig set up before attacking it in depth.
That should be in another week or two.

> DTC documentation should be on bitsavers

Yes, for which I am extremely grateful!   The DTC-11-1 host
adapter manual is particularly valuable.   While there is a
manual for the DTC-520A and the 500DB Series, there isn't one
for the 520-1.   It's possible that the 520A is the same as
the 520-1, but we're not sure yet.

In any event, the CRC information is not in the manuals.   We'll
probably start by just experimenting with common polynomials.
Why would DTC engineers NOT use proven algorithms?   :-)

Thanks,
Alan Frisbie