On Thu, 22 Jun 2017, Mike Loewen via cctalk wrote:
I was contacted by a faculty member at the University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) who is looking for help in recovering files from some 5-1/4" diskettes. The diskettes are from the 1989-1892 time frame, and most likely contain WordPerfect files. If there's anyone in the area who would be willing to help, contact me off-list and I'll put you in touch with him. Thanks!

95+% chance that it is WordPerfect 5.x on 1.2M or 360K diskettes.
If the 1989-1892 (sic) time frame is accurate, then most likely 1.2M.
(if 1892, then it is not likely to be 5.25" disks)

Conversion (not even really "recovery") would consist of any PC with a 5.25" drive to copy the files to thumb drive.
Then, need a version of WORD,
or of WordPerfect For Windows.
Open file, save in Word format.
I have heard that Word 2013 does not always play nicely with Word perfect files, in which case, try an older version of Word.
I don't think that Open Office supports WP files.

Conversion of formatting, fonts, etc., is likely to be imperfect.
Expect some manual work needed for final cleanup.

There WERE versions of WordPerfect for systems other than MS-DOS!
5.25" would not be Mac, nor Amiga, nor Atari ST, nor NextStep.
Data General or Vax/VMS also seem rather unlikely.

5.25" COULD be WordPerfect for Apple IIe/IIGS! That would be POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely. Apple 2 disk conversion is a hassle, but not an extreme challenge.

But also possibilities of DEC Rainbow, Tandy 2000, TI Professional, Victor 9000 (Sirius)

First step is to put a disk in a PC and type DIR.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com