All,
         having problems with my iMac G3. Ethernet stopped working, but still
shows some signs of life. Any suggestions welcome!

        Details:
Machine is an iMac G3/500 MHz (PowerMac 4,1) slot-loading (I think Summer 2001)
Ethernet component closest is an Asante Etherhub 10T/8 (8 ports), connected to
my house AT&T fiber-optic modem (which actually connects via copper to the AT&T
drop outside).

Initial failure was the clock backup battery dying, so that it lost date/time
on power cycles. I deferred replacing that :-( for several months.

Second failure (and the persistent one) is the “connect” light on the Asante
EtherHub went out (!) and no network activity worked (not DHCP, not ping,
nothing).

I have replaced the battery. The old one reads near zero V out of circuit,
which may be related to the problem. New one read about 3.3V (analog Ohmmeter)
out of circuit and the date/time persists through power cycles now that it has
been installed.

        Some things I have done:

Tried other cables, other ports on the same Asante hub.  Same behavior.

ifconfig shows en0: as “inactive”.

“Connect” light on the Asante EtherHub flashes momentarily at start-up.

If I go to “System Preferences” - “Network” - show “ethernet” and configure
manually, I can set for 10T/UTX. The “connect” light lights up and stays on. If
I reconfigure to “automatic” it goes out, and I can go back and forth with no
problems.

Even after doing that and in the light-lit configuration, ifconfig still shows
the en0: link as “inactive”.

Command-Option-P-R to reset parameter ram, went through 2 chimes before letting
it boot. Seemed to boot normally, but no change in ethernet behavior.

        Things I still need to do:

Need to confirm that the printer (LaserJet 4MP) also attached to the same
Asante Etherhub is live. However its connect light is solid on, so I don’t
suspect a problem in the hub or upstream.  (Also the connect light to the house
modem is solid on.)

Need to try connecting iMac G3 to my PowerBook G4 or MacBook with auto-config
ethernet port.

Need to try to understand ifconfig enough to try to get the iMac en0: to look
like the PowerBook G4 en0: in the same physical setup. (So far, can’t even find
format for the “active” setting…. )

        As above, any suggestions welcome! I do wish I’d changed the battery
earlier, I fear I messed up some PRAM parameter that I’m going to have problems
re-configuring.  Worse, I’m really afraid the ethernet chip was damaged by low
V on the battery, but I’m encouraged that it at least responds to the manual
10T/UTX setting in the control panel.

                - Mark