On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 07/01/2017 10:27 PM, Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I was told years ago that in general the thinner-wall sockets are better
>> quality -- they have to be made from stronger steel alloy to work at
>> all. Obviously there are exceptions....
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if some of the cheaper stuff was made from pot
> metal.  I encountered a small Chinese adjustable wrench that was, in
> fact, made just that way with a nice chromium plating.  I think it was
> intended to be more decorative than functional.

Over here you get things like that in 'pound shops' (equivalent of
dollar stores). Spanners that seem to be made of unbaked
clay or something of similar strength.

> The quality of tools has declined.  It used to be that Sears Roebuck
> "Craftsman" hand tools were among the best and were sold with an
> unconditional warranty.  Not so any more.

The best spanners I have come across are made by Stahlwille. But be
sitting down when they quote the price. The few I have I expect to
last for the rest of my life though.

-tony