On 7/4/17 10:55 PM, Arno Kletzander via cctalk wrote:

> A quick look on the media surface however revealed a multitude of tarnished
> spots that look to me like fungus growth. Having read about dirt and fungus
> on media, moisture causing sticky shed syndrome, cleaning and baking
> procedures and the like here, but not yet having gone through it myself (and
> thus afraid to botch it if I tried it), I asked him not to read the floppy on
> his own right now but let me ask for help.

Actually, dirt and fungus cause media dropouts. Sometimes you can (carefully)
clean it off by washing and drying the
cookie and putting the disk in a new jacket.

When cleaning, you should carefully inspect the areas of the disk, preferably
under magnification, to try to just take
off the surface contaminants and not the oxide and binder.