----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Cini via cctech" <cct...@classiccmp.org>
To: "Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only" <cct...@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:54 PM
Subject: Disk imaging with IMD - question

Guys –

I’m working on a restoration project for VCF that requires imaging 8” disks
(both SSSD and DSDD, mostly for the Tarbell controller) but I’m having trouble
with it reading disks. So, I wanted to run through what I’ve done and see if
I’m missing anything.

It took me a while to hunt down a controller that would work with the PC/AT I
have on the bench and that would pass all of the testfdc tests. The floppy
drives are both 1.2MB drives. I located an Adaptec AHA-1522F. Testfdc passes.

Next, I connected my 8” drive (a QumeTrak 242) to the controller using the 8”
floppy interface adapter from DBit. On reboot, the BIOS seeks the drive no
problem so I would say that the physical interface works.

I tried formatting an 8” DSDD disk for MSDOS and I can’t get that to work (not
sure why since the 8” drive should be similar to the 1.2MB). Rerunning the
testfdc program fails all tests with the 8”, and it doesn’t successfully read
any of the non-critical sample disks I have.

Not sure this is enough for someone to go on, but I thought I’d throw it out
there.

As a separate question, what kind of disk imaging setups are people using for
8” disks?

Thanks!
-------------------------
Hi Rich,

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do; archive 8" disks on a PC, create 8"
disks on a PC, or both?

Where does MS-DOS format come in? What system uses a Tarbell controller to
read/write MS-DOS disks?

Probably not relevant for you but since you asked, FWIW I use a Cromemco system
to DD/TAR/FTAR 8" disks to a file and then either copy that to a PC over a
serial connection or copy it to a 3.5" or 5.25" HD disk that both the Cromemco
and the PC can read & write.

Rich

--

Rich Cini