On 08/11/2017 10:58 AM, Marvin Johnston via cctalk wrote:
> I seem to recall this topic has been brought up a couple of times
> over the past 20 years or so that ClassicCmp has been in existance,
> but I can't find the info. And technology has advanced :).
>
> I have probably at least 10,000 floppy disks of many flavors
> (formats, hard sector, soft sector, various TPI and Tracks/disk,
> 3.5"/5.25?/8", etc.) My most pressing/interesting issue is both
> Polymorphic and Lobo Drives/Systems 5.25" and 8" disks.

I don't think a solution exists to make real copies of *any arbitrary*
floppy.

Even the idea of two drives powered off the same motor, aligning index
holes, etc. will not work.   The reason is quite simple--on a low level,
what you read from a floppy is not what was written.  There are issues
that crop up during writing a floppy, such as bit shift and crowding
that must be compensated for--and it's very, very difficult to do this
on a "blind" basis without knowing something about the format.

This, after all, is what "write precompensation" is all about--an
intentional distortion of the write process to ensure that reading looks
more or less normal.

And this isn't dealing with various copy-protection schemes,
special-purpose replacement drive electronics boards (they exist) and
varying track densities (48, 96, 100, 135, 67.5 tpi) as well as the real
oddball stuff, such as Kodak/Drivetec floppies. I recently ran into a
floppy drive used on a CNC controller that has an utterly non-standard
track spacing--the manufacturer included in their PLC solely for reading
a disk of proprietary software--i.e. the PLC has *two* floppy drives;
one standard and the other just for those floppies.

I use a Catweasel to image my floppies--it does the job well, but so
will any decent modern microcontroller with a timer "capture" function.

--Chuck