(Note: Also posted to VCF)

Hi Guys,

It's a long shot but I’m searching for a manual, which hopefully someone
has scanned somewhere.

In my latest “check-my-gear-works” audit, an IBM PS/2 monitor failed. It
worked initially although brightness and contrast needed to be almost fully
up to see anything. Then the raster suddenly went. I have a power light but
no raster and no sign of life (i.e. no glow) in the elements in the neck.

The monitor is a Personal System/2 Monochrome display. Model 8503. It’s VGA
but mono.

I found one manual on the web. It’s the “IBM Personal System/2 Display
Hardware Maintenance Manual - Vol. 1” January 1993. Document Number
SA38-0053-00. Part Number 68G2616. Unfortunately (1) It doesn’t cover the
8503 model and (2) there are no pictures (I need pictures!).

Does anyone have, or knows of a link to, a service manual (PDF) for the
8503 model? This monitor is in good condition externally. It would be a
shame to throw it away but I really need to know what I’m doing before
poking around with the innards, to ascertain if it’s salvageable.!

I see someone on VCF had a whole pallet of these NIB for sale for $50 bucks
each about a year and a half ago.  220V versions even!  I haven't asked
them if there is still one available as (even if they could be bothered)
shipping to New Zealand would be an eye-watering $200 or so I imagine!

Terry (Tez)