I just mentioned the rasterlines/scanlines generated via software on modern PC's in the context of game emulators with Mame. This is of course not applicable in the situation of a C64 connected to a VGA 4/3 LCD, except if you you are using an intermediate hardware like that:

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices:::4.html

In fact it would be much simpler to find a simple small TV for this brave C64 ;-)