http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/1344/Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4A/ has
interesting knowledge of the serial for dating.
I don't know if it was my newb brain/false memory but i thought I saw someone
post a ti-99/2 prototype before (vcfed search can probably prove me right or
wrong). But the models really were already stated as the 99/4 being the first
and noticeable from chicklet keyboard and orange?/red keys on the bottom
corners.
Then i think they had an expansion system that my memory gets confused with the
trs-80.
I didn't realize it was a 16-bit system though. That's intriguing and worth
some more reading to see what it did vs the competition.
-------- Original message --------From: John Wilson via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> Date: 9/6/17  1:57 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: william degnan
via cctech <cct...@classiccmp.org> Subject: Re: determing date on TI 99/4
computers.
On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:07:22PM -0400, william degnan via cctech wrote:
>I'd double check that.   I have found, at least in my experience, that the
>beige are more plentiful than what you'd expect if they only made them for
>a few months.  I bet they were made for the last year or more of the run.

Is it possible to retrofit the beige keyboard?  I remember Radio Shack was
dumping surplus beige TI-99/4A keyboards super cheap for a while there, so
I was wondering if maybe people could've used them as repair parts?

Also, was there ever a TI-99, TI-99/2, TI-99/3 etc.?

The Bill Cosby TV ads were kind of embarrassing in retrospect ... but they
were funny at the time.  He didn't seem like much of a computer nerd.

John Wilson
D Bit