On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
Fred, you forgot that Tesla invented alternating current...

I wasn't around for that stuff.
From what I've heard, he didn't get into public electrocutions to
demonstrate.

It seems that anything with a typewriter style keyboard and ANY sort of storage would get used for correspondence and manuscripts. Then, business letters started to be obsessed with print quality.

BTW, Sam Clemens (Mark Twain) is credited with being first to submit a typewritten manuscript. That may be true. 'Course really obscure manuscript submissions would have been ignored or forgotten, so unless we have an exhaustive count of typewriters sold, and exhaustive records of publishers, the claim should remain as "probably". ALL history "FIRST"s are subject to the obscure prior entries being forgotten. After all, history teachers still call Columbus "FIRST"!

I tried to interest my publisher in going straight from microcomputer into typesetting machine, but I couldn't do that disk format, and the Rochester Dynatyper was too funny to watch. My publisher's wife did not see it as being a sufficient benefit over her re-typing into the typesetter keyboard.