> The CCL 4T1427 key, which is NOT what Mike needs, would be cut on an
> Ilco S1003A blank, cuts 1427 bow-to-tip.
>
> The CAT99 key I see referenced in the list archives (might open a cab
> back door) would be on an Ilco S1000V, cuts 33335 bow-to-tip.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017, Ed Sharpe via cctalk wrote:
I dunno what all thathe means

Q: Do you WANT to know what all thathe means?

I am offering to
.look thru shoe box of keys I Ave one if the thin mx processors do not temember what number but I know Keyes not in it... I used to come home after a hard day with computers and if I had weird keys 30 plus years ago they went into a box or plastic bag..

So, YOU are the guy who always walked off with the keys at the end of the day, and never brought them back.

Well, he provided complete description of what to look for. He described in industry terms exactly what two keys are, to the extent that a competent locksmith could make them without having seen the originals.

The first part is which keyblank - what will fit into the keyhole. While a machinist could mill keys from a solid piece of brass, the description required is most easily handled by simply specifiying which commercial keyblank to use. Ilco is the largest supplier, to it is customary to specify the Ilco number. (like chip numbers) If you use a different supplier, then you need an appropriate cross-reference.

Next are the actual cuts made to the blank.
For a given application, there are standards for the "depth and spacing", how far apart the cuts are, where the first cut is, and how deep the cuts are. That could be specified as measurements, but a competent locksmith has a "depth and spacings" database in which to look up the placement and depths for a given application.

Cuts are typically listed from the bow to the tip. (The bow is what you hold, the tip goes into the keyhole). An exception is Best, which is TIP indexed. Non-locksmiths identify keys by the shape of the bow, which is, of course, irrelevant.

Cuts are specified numerically, starting with zero or one being the shallowist cut. (Q: Can you explain why some computers number sectors from zero, and some number from one?) For a given application, there will be anywhere from 2 to 10 different depths of cuts. So, one of his examples has four moderate cuts and then one deeper one. His other example has a very shallow cut, a moderate one, a shallow one, and then a deep one. If you LOOK at the cuts of a key, rather than habitually blank out with, "it's just incomprehensible random mountaintops", you can SEE whether a key had cuts that would fit that description. BTW, the mountain tops are irrelevant, what matters is the depths of the valleys between them.

Notice that each valley has a flat area on the bottom (like Yosemite valley). Thus, if you move the key in or out 1/4 mm, it doesn't change the depths.