On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 9/28/17 7:38 AM, Mike Stein via cctalk wrote:
>
> > What is it that usually fails when the drive can't read the servo info?
> The data on the platter, or?
>
> I've never dug that far into it beyond fiddling with Micropolis trying to
> mechanically get it to
> find the servo tracks and calibrate to track 0.
>
> One of the problems is schematics and documentation on the servo systems
> are extremely difficult
> to get. The little that is on bitsavers is all I've come up with in 25
> years of searching and there
> is practically nothing useful elsewhere on the web about fixing servos in
> old 5" disks.
>
> It could be heads, media, positioners, component aging in the analog
> section, etc etc..

Speaking of.... I've got a couple of old MFM drives (10 and 20 MB of a
variety whose name and model #'s escape me, I wanna say Tandon, but not
sure). They seem to work fine when I initially format and partition, but as
they run for a while, they get more and more unreliable. It seems to be a
function of how long they've been running for rather than a predictable
pattern of bad tracks sectors? Are there any good sources of
troubleshooting info at the controller level for these old drives?