On Sun, 22 Oct 2017, Sean Conner via cctalk wrote:

By gum!  Alpine does indeed translate the 'A' into a '?' and I never
noticed.  It seems that my tiny mind simply translated the character
and moved on.

 I have:

        LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_COLLATE=C

as part of my environment, and I'm using a font that supports UTF-8...

And how does one know that a font supports UTF-8?

And yes UTF-8 has been around for decades but as an English speaker I didn't have to think about unicode and locale and stuff like that.

--
  Richard Loken VE6BSV            : "...underneath those tuques we wear,
  Athabasca, Alberta Canada       : our heads are naked!"