> On Nov 3, 2017, at 11:58 AM, allison via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Emulation of another computer was important to two groups early on...
> designers
> that wanted to try new architecture and the result of evolution and
> retirement of
> hardware the need to run costly to develop programs for which source or the
> needed components had become extinct.  The latter I believe is more rampant
> since the mid 70s with machines getting replaced with bigger and faster
> at an
> ever increasing rate.

Could be.  Then again, today's main architectures are all decades old; they get
refined but not redone.

Emulation of new architectures on old ones goes back quite a long time.  I've
seen a document from 1964, describing the emulation of the Electrologica X8
(which came out around 1964) on its predecessor the X1 (which dates back to
1958).