On 11/19/2017 12:29 AM, Huw Davies via cctalk wrote:

On 19 Nov 2017, at 10:57, Eric Christopherson via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Basically, I'm looking for a certain book (although really any book in
the same vein would satisfy), which was on computer system architecture,
organization, etc.; it talked about the usual boolean logic, assembly
programming in some fictitious instruction set, an overview of two
actual architectures (I think at that time they were 32-bit x86 and
64-bit POWER). The other thing I remember very specifically was there
was a place near the back (probably an appendix) that talked about
one or more specific buses (I think at least PCI was there), with timing
diagrams to tell you what was actually going back and forth between the
bus and CPU.

Sounds like either

Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach by David Patterson and John
Hennessy

Computer Organization and Design: the Hardware/Software Interface by David
Patterson and John Hennessy

I see there’s a MIPS edition of the second book. My copy of the second book has
Hennessy as the first author.

Time for a re-read - it’s been a while since I read both of them.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: huw.dav...@kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"

Is the first editon of the second book not MIPS? I want to read a book on stuff when the book was written, not the latest FAD or current marketing GIMMIC.
Ben.