Off the cuff, I'd probably stand something else up and have it relay mail
to the VAX (I suspect you've already got machines available for this
purpose, ping me off-list if not). Have the VAX only accept connections
from whatever's doing the relaying. If you can't get VMS or the smtpd to
restrict incoming connections, add a transparent hardware firewall in
between. This is what I typically do when something old and probably
insecure has to be connected to the Internet -- proxy, relay, or otherwise
hide the actual server behind something modern.

Thanks,
Jonathan