On 1/6/2018 5:51 AM, shadoooo via cctalk wrote:
Hello,
I have some doubt about DEC tape units and related interfaces.

What I know about (right or wrong, please correct):
- TU80 is a Pertec drive, it needs M7454 (unibus, TS11 driver) which is a
modified Dilog DU132. No option for QBUS.

- TS05 is a Pertec drive, it needs TSV05 (qbus, TSV05 driver) which is a
modified Emulex ???)

- TU81 plus is LESI or Pertec, you need KLESI (unibus / qbus, TMSCP driver).

Now the questions:
I have both a TU80 and TU81plus, and both Unibus and Qbus machines, but no
interfaces.
I would like to connect at least TU80 to unibus, and TU81 to qbus, but for
backup reasons it would be better to have both drives on both busses.

What are the DEC or third party card which would fit better on my drives,
and/or which would offer better driver compatibility with various OSs (via
switchable configuration).

I'm not sure about interface compatibility (Pertec interfaces could be
swapped),
and driver compatibility (what is better for RT11, what for BSD, what for
VMS).

I would accept also some offer to my email, if somebody has something
interesting to sell (better if in EU).

Thanks
Andrea

I only have SCSI tape drives, and a TS05.  But take a look at the various
Emulex tape controllers.   I believe TS11 and TMSCP emulations are what you'd
want.

            TC02        Q   Emulex Pertec-interface tape drive controller.
                            Emulates TS11. Early revisions incompatible
                            with VMS.

            TC02        Q   Emulex Pertec-interface tape drive controller.
                            Emulates TS11. Early revisions incompatible
                            with VMS. Supports 1-4 Cipher F880, CDC 92181,
                            Kennedy 6809, and Pertec F1000.

            TC02/FS     Q   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller,

            TC05        Q   Emulex CDC Sentinel .25" cartridge tape controller.
                            Emulates TS11. Supports CDC 92192 Sentinel.

            TC05/SX     Q   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller.

            TC11/N      U   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller.
                            Emulating TM11/TU10.

            TC11/P      U   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller.
                            Emulating TM11/TU10.

            TC11/V      U   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller.
                            Emulates MT11/TU10. Needs Emulex VAX/UT software.

            TC12        U   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller.
                            Emulates TS11. 22-bit. Supports 1-4 Cipher F880,
                            CDC 92181, Kennedy 6809, and Pertec F1000.

            TC12/FS     U   Emulex .5" reel-to-reel tape controller,

            TC13        Q   Emulex Pertec-interface tape drive controller.
                            Switchable TU81 TMSCP or TS11 emulation.

            TC13        U   Emulex Pertec-interface tape drive controller.
                            Switchable TU81 TMSCP or TS11 emulation. Supports
                            1-4 Cipher F880, CDC 92181, Kennedy 6809, and
                            Pertec F1000.

            {above excerpted from M. Gentry's Field Guide)

- js.