On 1/23/2018 7:24 AM, Daniel Seagraves via cctalk wrote:

On Jan 23, 2018, at 9:14 AM, jim stephens via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

On 1/23/2018 6:30 AM, Daniel Seagraves via cctalk wrote:
The Saturn software, which is what actually flew from Earth to the moon,
The navigation and guidance was in the CM and LM processors.  The Saturn IBM
firmware is lost, but was under command of the LM and CM computers, and is
running on simulators, as well as on some hardware replicas.
Absolutely wrong. The only time the CM computer flew the Saturn was in an abort
scenario where the Saturn digital computer failed, and it happened via a data
path from the FDAI needles to the Saturn’s analog control computer. At all
other points prior to S4 staging the CM was strictly along for the ride. After
S4 staging the CM and LM were on their own, but that was after the translunar
burn.
As pointed out, the function of the Saturn computers was to do the lunar injection.  The main guidance problem of the mission was the coast and the landing, which were done by the CM and LM.

They did what the ground uploaded to them for guidance, as full independent guidance was decided to be too intensive and unnecessary to have in the onboard computers.  The real work was done in the back rooms @ Mission control, with certain features implemented on the systems onboard the rocket.

You couldn't carry out a mission w/o the ground supporting either system with computations to the onboard systems.  You didn't punch in the address of the moon on any system onboard the rocket, you got pre-computed parameters from ground  computations that the flight computers carried out.

The AGC systems could vary that more than the Saturn stack could, as you point out the capability was added at astronaut insistence to control the Saturn part of the rocket, but was never used.

I'm not getting your "absolutely wrong" part.
After I reread the thread, I think they were talking about saving the Apollo
computer software, not the spacecraft.
They were.

AGC software here, FWIW.
https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/
I know. I am one of the NASSP maintainers. We took the yaAGC core and built a
spacecraft around it so we could actually use it instead of just running it to look
at the pretty flashing numbers in the idle loop. The project has been in work for
more than 10 years now. Right now we have the most complete Apollo simulation ever
built, exceeding the capabilities of even the NASA training simulators. See
http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page
<http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page>