On 01/23/2018 09:54 AM, Aaron Jackson wrote:

1) The EMI filter had gone open-circuit - it's one of those metal can types
which is integrated with the IEC power input connector. Are these still
obtainable anywhere? It seems like equipment these days just has the
filtering directly on the PSU board, rather than as a separate module. I've
just bypassed it for testing, but I don't want to leave it like that.

You can still get these. The hard part is finding one which will fit
properly unless you are willing to bodge it together a bit. Just search
for "C14 EMI" on eBay and you'll find hundreds of them. Maybe you've
seen them already and were just surprised by how small they have become :)

Ha, no... I'd actually not looked into it, I just assumed they were long-gone because I'd not seen one used in anything for *years*.

The one in the Televideo is surprisingly compact, given the age - around 1" wide, 3/4" high and 2" deep (including the solder points). It looks like I should be able to find a replacement easily enough, though (I'm assuming that the internal component values aren't particularly critical, and it's just a case of finding something with enough max current rating)

You can also just remove it, and (safely) wire in a fixed power cord.

Yes, right now I just grabbed a panel-mount IEC connector from a junk PC PSU and wired that up while I'm testing, I think long-term though I'd prefer to do it right; it won't make any difference to the terminal, but it might make other gadgets plugged into the same AC feed a little happier. :-)

cheers

Jules