But, I don't know how to FORMAT a track with multiple sector sizes with
NEC 765 type controller.  Not as hard with WD style controllers.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
It's actually not too difficult.  There were DOS utilities that could,
for example, copy IBM XDF format.
The trick is that on the 765 and its ilk, the FORMAT command writes
sector headers according to the length parameter in the *command*,
whereas the WRITE SECTOR command writes things out according to the
length in the sector ID header.

Thank you!
Although these days, it's just curiousity and nostalgia.

I learn great new [currently useless to me] fun stuff on this list every day.

20+ years ago, when I needed to, after a number of failed attempts,
I used double sided (and 96tpi) drives in a TRS80 model 3,
and/or "COPY"ed a disk using a flux transition board.