On 3/24/2018 8:23 PM, Nigel Williams via cctalk wrote:

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 1:57 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/dectape/LCM_Early_PDP-11
Thanks everyone for preserving these items.

In the unpacked file dectapes-extracted.zip, folder 118655.tu56 has
within it BASIC.P11.txt, the filename suggesting it might be a version
of BASIC, but the header of the file is this:

;FOCAL-11, VERSION B2

;BY RICK MERRILL

;COPYRIGHT@ 1970,1971 BY
;DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORP, MAYNARD, MASS.

overall the file contents suggest it is FOCAL, is there a way to check
that this is what was on the original tape? and not a handling problem
during the recovery?

I dumped the tapes and can confirm that this is not an error during recovery and is what was on the original tape; each tape had a printed directory listing taped to it and this listing matches the listing I got when extracting the data.  I assume it was misnamed or overwritten at some point back in the day.

There is a BASIC.P11 on another tape that has actual BASIC source in it.

There's also what looks like some very early RSTS source in there.

- Josh

As an aside there is an early version of TECO-11 there too:

TITLE TECO   V.21A - 18 AUG 70 - RC CLEMENTS/PMH/CM
SUBTTL TEXT EDITOR AND CORRECTOR

;COPYRIGHT DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORP., 1969,1970, MAYNARD, MASS.