On May 17, 2018, at 15:48, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Frank McConnell via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> HP-UX for them is very interesting from a historical perspective in that the
> Unix kernel is a complete rewrite.  It is hosted on top of HP’s “SUN OS”
> operating system (there is also a single-user BASIC system for the 9020, also
> hosted on SUN OS) and written in HP’s MODCAL language.  The filesystem is
> HP’s Structured Directory Format.  The userland is largely made up of ports
> from AT&T System III (and later System V) and 4BSD.
>
> HP-UX did a fairly extensive kernel rewrite, but implemented substantially
> the same system call interface. This was apparent in a number of ways (the
> binary format was different from other machines in ways I can't quite recall,
> not quite COFF). They did ship mostly programs from BSD and SysV, though
> through quirks of the legal minefield of the early days of Unix, they did it
> under their System III license, at least in the early days... Don't know if
> that ever changed to a System V license or not since they didn't have a
> System V kernel...

I am thinking HP did at least four flavors of HP-UX.

First was HP-UX for the first-generation 9000s that became the Series 500.  I
think it took System III as a baseline and reimplemented in MODCAL, and later
added System V support.

Second was HP-UX for the 9836 (later Series 200).  That is a 68010 system and I
think was a System III port.

Third was HP-UX for Series 300.  These are 680x0 systems for x>=2 and I think
their HP-UX was a System III port later upgraded to System V.

Fourth was HP-UX for Series 800.  These are PA-RISC minis and I think their
HP-UX was a 4BSD port with System V features for compatibility with series 300.

I’m not sure where the Integral fit in.  That was a single-user 68000, probably
closest to series 200, with no MMU.

> So when it is running HP-UX it looks like Unix, with some exceptions.  One is
> that if you open and read a directory from your C program there are no
> entries for . (current) or .. (parent) directories; these are done in SDF’s
> directory entry and not present in the actual Unix directory.  Yes, ls -a
> shows them: it is faking them to make it look more like Unix!
>
> I think they must have fixed this, or it wasn't true for readdir(). I ported
> the OI toolkit to HP-UX once upon a time and the file dialog boxes just
> worked, and we had . and .. in there…

Were you really working with a Series 500?  I don’t think anyone ever ported X
libraries to them.  No usable TCP/IP stack on them unless you bought the
Wollongong product.  (I am thinking HP had one for it too, for their NS/9000
products, but it was IEEE 802.3 framing with 802.2 LLC header and not
interoperable with Ethernet II.)

Series 300/400 (Motorola 680x0 for x >= 2) ran an HP-UX that I think is a
System V derived kernel, or at least the later releases were, with a 4BSD TCP
stack.  Series 800/700 ran an HP-UX that I think was a new port from 4BSD, but
with System V features added for compatibility with the Series 300.

> -Frank McConnell (supported Wollongong’s TCP/IP on these)
>
> Danger! The Sea Monster Comes!

Yup, my real thing there was supporting Wollongong’s WIN/TCP for MPE/V, which
wasn’t really Wollongong’s TCP/IP but was instead Telnet, FTP, and SMTP clients
and services on top of HP’s NetIPC TCP API.  Telnet and FTP were mostly 4BSD
ports to CCS C/3000 and NetIPC and MPE.

(And in this message, y’all are getting all the wonder of Apple Mail promoting
characters to Unicode and the horrible Gmail quoting with spaces.  I hope it’s
understandable.)

-Frank McConnell