> On May 29, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 29, 2018, at 10:30 AM, John Forecast via cctalk
>> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 29, 2018, at 3:30 AM, Nigel Williams via cctalk
>>> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

>>> this is actually RSX-11D? http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/ias/
>>
>>      Yes. The two V3.4A tapes will allow you to build either RSX-11D or IAS.
>
> Wow, I did not know that.  It certainly confirms that IAS is just a slightly
> hacked RSX-11/D...
>
>       paul

        Probably more that just “slightly” hacked but certainly not a
completely new design. The scheduler was completely reworked
        along with the swapping mechanisms. When I first saw it, there were 2
user interfaces; SCI> the System Control Interface for
        management operations and PDS> Program Development System for normal
users. Before release, both were collapsed
        into the, now familiar, DCL> interface. Just remapping DCL commands
onto the standard utilities was a major part of the work.

          John.