On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, dwight wrote:
I've had the goo from the adhesive of 5.25 inch 360k disk come through the nice liner and make gobs on the disk. I tried several thing but found that isopropanol worked without removing any of the magnetic material ( maybe s tiny amount that was likely loose already ). I'm not saying it would be the same for 8 inch disk. Once working I did copy them to floppies without liners.

I use Screen 99 for cleaning floppies, and that has proved to be the best so far, giving a clean and smooth surface. There's no need to grapple with several different fluids. I don't even use lint-free cloths and the like, I use paper towels. The surface is so smooth that all the remaining dust can be blown away easily.

Christian