On 10/04/2018 11:26 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
That's sort of accurate. A quick look shows some key differences: V2 adds the "collision presence test" -- verifying the collision detect signal is working. There is also the "jabber timer" -- a watchdog timeout that stops excessively long frames. And V2 introduces the loopback protocol (protocol type 90-00).

That mostly sounds like the frame formats are the same on the wire and that the differences are in the protocols that use said frame.

The collision presence test is somewhat of an interoperability issue: if you attach a V1 transceiver to a V2 NIC, the NIC would complain on every transmit that it didn't get the collision test signal.

That makes me wonder about the "heartbeat" switch that I see on older AUI transceivers.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die