I’ll throw in my two cents to say that I’ve used a fair number of GUIs over the
years both commercially available and FOSS, and I’d say that Windows 95’s UI
blew the doors off of anything I’d used up that point in terms of usability.
Nobody IMO can fairly compare it with the previously available X based
desktops. The Mac was good, the Amiga was good, but there was a lot more
flexibility in how Win95 operated, and that’s probably why  (along with
familiarity) that it has been so oft copied up to this point (Mac OS X’s UI
notwithstanding, which is also quite good).