On 21/11/2018 22:46, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

On 11/21/18 5:19 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
Ed,
It is YOUR mail program that is doing the extraneous insertions, and
then not showing them to you when you view your own messages.

Seriously, YOUR mail program is inserting extraneous stuff.
Everybody? but you sees it.

I don't.  I didn't see it until someone replied with a
copy of the offending text included.

I see the extra spaces, which are non-break spaces. I think the reason John was seeing uppercase A-circumflex characters is because Ed's email is using UTF-8; however John's email client isn't respecting the header that says so, and is using Western (ISO-8859-1). NBSP in UTF-8 is A-circumflex in Western.

Amusingly, Bill's reply also contains a NBSP (after the full stop in "don't".), which displays as A-circumflex when I change the coding in my client.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull