On Mon, 26 Nov 2018, Tomasz Rola via cctalk wrote:
To supply this train of thought with some numbers:

- my copy of Common Lisp HyperSpec claims 978 symbols (i.e. words) on
  its alphabetical index; many words have modifiers (a.k.a. keyword
  options, with default values) which increases the number at least
  twofold, IMHO, if one agrees that each combo should be counted as
  different word, to which I would say yes

- I have read somewhere that Japanese pupil after graduating from
  elementary school is supposed to know 1000 kanjis by heart (there
  is a standardised set, I have a book)

Would those "modifiers of words" qualify as ADJECTIVES?

The Japanes phonetic alphabets, Katakana and Hirigana, have 46 letters each, almost twice that with diacritics. I have heard that Japanese Kanji has more than 50,000 words/characters (for which 16bits would fit, but be a little risky). But, that in common usage, 1100 to 2000 words comprise most of common usage. Wikipedia says that as of 2010, the student requirement is 2136.

Japanese Kanji and Chinese have substantial overlap, but there is no way that you could squeeze both into 16 bits, without leaving out important stuff.

Therefore, for use with current computers, 32 bits would be needed.
Some games can be played with mixing sizes by doing things like setting high bit, for 128 7 bit characters plus 32768 15 bit characters, and 2147483648 31 bit characters.