Oh yes, tell me about the html 'there is no such thing as hard formatting and you can't have any even when you want it' concept. Thank you Tim Berners Lee.
I've not delved too deeply into the lack of hard formatting in HTML.

The HTML <pre>  . . .  </pre> tag helps a bit.
Before I found THAT, I was having serious difficulties with too much of what I tried to do with HTML.

Obvious examples include ASCII art, but also program source code.
I should NOT have to create a "table" for that, nor have difficulty having a string literal in code that contains varying numbers of space characters!

For some reason, a few decades ago, I had substantial difficulty finding out about the existence of the <pre> tag, and at that time, did not find the <code> tag, nor CSS. Now, it seems to be pretty easy to find.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com