On 2019-03-14 2:21 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

>> On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
>> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> Personally, I think it would be really neat if some of these
>> computer museums could collect complete end-product systems
>> and make them run.  Can you imagine showing a bunch of students
>> how a newspaper was produced using a PDP-11 and one of these
>> Tek terminals feeding a real printing press.
>>
>> bill
>
> I agree it would be really neat.  The odds of pulling it off are slim,
> unfortunately.  ...
>
> Phototypesetters of that era were often quite big machines.  At DEC we had an
> Autologic APS-4, which is a gray box about 6 feet on the sides.  A fair
> number of customers had its successor the APS-5, which is somewhat smaller
> but not a whole lot.  The smallest machines I remember were the Mergenthaler
> Linotron 202, about the size of a large high speed copier.  Later models of
> that one supported PostScript, I think,

 ...snip...

> And yes, those machines produce output on photographic "film" (paper rolls,
> actually) which has to be developed and fixed, then cut, coated on the back
> with sticky wax, and pasted onto layout boards.

Out of high school I worked on a (tiny) family newspaper where we did
that using LaserWriter printouts. Later we bought a Linotronic 100 which
fits your description above: A capstan based laser imagesetter up to
1270dpi which was the first such device to run PostScript, and could be
run over AppleTalk by the Macintosh applications and print manager. I
typeset galleys with it (as it happens, with TeX, using all Adobe
fonts), which were then pasted up into full pages.

The L100 machine itself now needs a forever home. It is stored in Sydney
NSW, Australia, so if anyone _does_ want to preserve some digital
typesetting history, please get in touch.

> The whole production process, from film to layout to press, is quite complex
> and comes in a bunch of variations.  I understand it slightly, but all that
> was the province of skilled union tradesmen whose trade has long ago vanished
> into history.

Yes; my 2nd job was at one of the last old-school graphic repro houses:
Process cameras, manual colour separation and "combining" by the last
generation trained in it. They had a very expensive (pre-PostScript)
Crosfield digital workflow involving drum scanners and high resolution
film recorders which was already obsolete when I started (1992). They
had installed the first PostScript drum imagesetter in Australia (I'm
told) -- a beautifully engineered Scangraphic -- that was my job to run.

--Toby