On 10/29/2019 10:14 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
Ok, first hurdle is down. In reading the RQDX3 Controller Module Users Guide it shows that for a BA23 the 50 pin cable goes down under the Q bus chassis then loops straight up into the RQDX3. Which is impossible to do with a modern (hee hee!) 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable as the cable keys are set up so that it would not be possible to plug the cable into the RQDX3 without inverting it (Because DEC likes to sell their cables with upside-down keys). However 30 seconds with a flush cutting pliers allowed me to remove the cam/key from the cable connector and plug it into the RQDX3.

System is now booting up off the floppy. Good step forward. I'll shut it down for now, and get a XXDP+ floppy from Ebay. That should allow me to format a Maxtor RD54 drive and get this thing up to steam.

Bit of progress. Thanks all! :-)

CZ
I created an XXDP floppy for the RX33 drive in my BA23 based PDP-11/23 using simh and then copying the image to real floppy using Putr.  It seemed brute force.  Is there an easier way?