On Nov 13, 2019, at 11:17 AM, Jim Brain via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 11/13/2019 7:47 AM, Alexandre Souza via cctalk wrote:
>> Jim, its a long time I don't use it, but I've used other configurations
>> beyond 8N1 and I remember when you put the modem in 7E1 it mirrored the
>> configuration of the other side. If you had a vax with a 2400 7E1 port, you
>> gotta have in the terminal 2400 7E1
>
> Yeah, I agree with your statement, but I am wondering what happened if you
> "mismatched" things.  Did the AT commands continue to work, but the raw data
> was sent out to the other side, or did it silently try to adapt?

I used Smartmodem 300’s and 1200’s a lot as a kid dialing up to BBSes in the
80s (also ran a BBS myself). I  recall that the modem itself — eg, the AT
command interpretation — automatically handled 7E1/8N1/etc., but that’s as far
as it went. If I was dialing up a non-8N1 BBS (rare, but they did exist), I had
to set my terminal program accordingly. I think I also had to set the speed
(although later modems would respond with the speed as an ASCII number in the
CONNECT message).

Of course, I might be completely misremembering.

—John