On 12/2/19 5:34 PM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:

Interesting comments Guy.

I'm completely naive when it comes to scanning things for preservation. Your comments do pass my naive understanding.

But PDF literally cannot be used as a wrapper for the results, since it doesn't incorporate the required image compression formats. This is why I use things like html structuring, wrapped as either a zip file or RARbook format. Because there is no other option at present. There will be eventually. Just not yet. PDF has to be either greatly extended, or replaced.

I *HATE* doing anything with PDFs other than reading them. My opinion is that PDF is where information goes to die. Creating the PDF was the last time that anything other than a human could use the information as a unit. Now, in the future, it's all chopped up lines of text that may be in a nonsensical order. I believe it will take humans (or something yet to be created with human like ability) to make sense of the content and recreate it in a new form for further consumption.

Have you done any looking at ePub? My understanding is that they are a zip of a directory structure of HTML and associated files. That sounds quite similar to what you're describing.

And that's why I get upset when people physically destroy rare old documents during or after scanning them currently. It happens so frequently, that by the time we have a technically adequate document coding scheme, a lot of old documents won't have any surviving paper copies. They'll be gone forever, with only really crap quality scans surviving.

Fair enough.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die