I'm trying to convert some C code[1] so it'll compile on TOPS20 with KCC. KCC is mostly ANSI compliant, but it needs to use the TOPS20 linker, which has a limit of six case-insentive characters. Adam Thornton wrote a Perl script[2] that successfully does this for Frotz 2.32. The Frotz codebase has evolved past what was done there and so 2.50 no longer works with Adam's script. So I've been expanding that script into something of my own, which I call "snavig"[3]. It seems to be gradually working more and more, but I fear the problem is starting to rapidly diverge because it still doesn't yield compilable code even on Unix. Does anyone here have any knowledge of existing tools or techniques to do what I'm trying to do?

This is part of a project to get Infocom and other Z-machine games running once again on PDP10 mainframes, either real or emulated. First up is to get the bare minimum of a current Z-machine emulator running on TOPS20. Then we can work on screen-handling, a disk pager[4], and porting to other PDP10 operating systems. I'm hoping that this will lead to fun exhibits wherever PDP10s are displayed in museum or faire settings.

[1] https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz
[2] https://github.com/athornton/gnusto-frotz-tops20
[3] Change an objects shape.
[4] Infocom's Z-machine emulators paged zcode from disk, but Frotz simply sucks the whole zcode file into memory.

--
David Griffith
d...@661.org