On 08/06/2020 20:49, ben via cctalk wrote:

But speed is relative. They changed computers where I was studing
electronics from a IBM-1130 to a VAX (something) in 1982.
I could use the IBM but the not VAX because they would have too
many users if that division had access to the VAX, and the
electonics section had PDP8 computers anyway.
So I suspect any VAX with one user would be faster than REAL
world machines in 1980's.

All my VAXes are now single user and quite likely to remain that way :-)

Maybe if I ever get a house with a very large basement or very large outbuildings that can act as a computer room, then that might change.

But for now, my VAXstation 4000 M9x is faster than almost all of my other VAXes (not counting SIMH).

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com