On 9/17/20 6:19 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> CDC also supports "long blocks" in which the I/O for a single block is done
> in pieces, so blocks can be read or written that are longer than what you
> would think is the limit from the device limits.  I'm not sure how long the
> longest "long block" is.

When testing out mods to 1LT, the longest record that I ever
successfully read and wrote was about half a reel at 556 bpi.   Of
course, the data was meaningless.   This was on a Cyber 74 (6600) using
a 657 drive as the target and a derivative of SCOPE 3.1.6 (Special
Systems hack).

Acoustically, the best tapes were the short-record "stranger" tapes.
All sorts of interesting noise.  I could tell from across the room when
someone was running the tape section of the Navy audit tests for COBOL
just by the sounds.

--Chuck