On 11/26/2020 05:46 PM, keith--- via cctalk wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Not a classic computer but has a 386 embedded in it for the voice mail. I rescued it from work. We had it rung for 20 years straight. The voice mail (AD-8) is basically a 386 running MS-DOS 6.22. So my concern is the hard drive. It is the original 2.5 inch IDE IBM Travelstar 6 GB drive. It has bee running for 20 years except for a handful of extended power outages. Hence while it is working now, I don't have too much
hope for the future.
I just faced this with a pick and place machine running Windows 95, on a 20 year-old IDE hard drive. Almost the first thing I did was get a dual-type USB drive dock and suck the entire drive image off with Linux and a dd command. Then, I cloned the drive to one of the special IDE drives that has a "32 GB clip" jumper option. This option makes the drive look like a 32 GB drive, although it has an actual 80 GB capacity. It is a white label model WL80PATA872. I'm not sure if this system actually needs the 32 GB clip feature, but some old OS'es do.

The drive dock is a "ALL IN 1 HDD Docking" which has both SATA and PATA connectors. It also has slots for SD cards and a few other types. It cost $23 delivered.

Jon